Wednesday 18 September 2013

Music from my freshers (1994!)

Whilst i was out on a run tonight (go me!), it was clear that i live in a very studenty area. The badly parked cars and fast food rubbish gave it away! The new Northampton Uni students arrived last weekend so i also ran past various groups of teenagers looking lost (or looking for an off-licence). 

I was reminded that 19 years ago (19!) I was one of those freshers, finding my way around Birmingham Uni and my Hall of Residence (Griffin Hall - a series of ugly blocks of 1960s flats - now fortunately demolished). 

So here for my benefit is some of the music that i associate with that time (1994/95)...

Whigfield - Saturday Night
My strongest memory of my Freshers Week was going to the Dome nightclub on the Monday night, losing the people from my hall that i went with within five minutes, bumping into a random friend from home, and watching what felt like the entire nightclub doing the dance routine to this song...

Doop - Doop
Although Doop came out earlier in 1994, it was still going strong when i went to uni. Based on the charleston, i soon learnt that i was not cut out to dance quickly...

Rednex - Cotton Eye Joe

The mid-90s was definitely the time for novelty pop songs sampling other types of music, and this was no exception. Again, most clubbers tried, and failed, to dance in time to this...

Nicki French - Total eclipse of the heart
I may not have been out at the time, but i knew a gay disco classic when i heard it...

Boo Radleys - Wake up Boo
"Wake up, its a beautiful morning..."
My first year at uni was not the best time in my life. But whenever i felt down, songs like this cheered me up

No comments:

Post a Comment