Thursday 12 January 2017

My 2017 objectives

Here are my objectives for 2017. My cunning plan is that if i publicise them, then hopefully i will achieve them...

1 Hit my fitbit target (10,000 steps per day) 90% of the time
I received a fitbit for Christmas 2015 and a year of using it (and the associated app) has taught me many things including how immobile i can be on some days (especially working from home days). The 90% target is equivalent to just over 6 days a week so i can still have some slack days!

2 Lose 5kg (~11 lbs)
Thanks to an exercise routine, healthier eating and a great personal trainer (thanks Alex), I have lost some weight over the last two years (although not as much as some people think!). Losing another 5kg will drop my weight below a symbolic weight (which i'm not going to publicise!).

3 Run 5k in a race
So far my running has included doing a Couch to 5K programme, 30 minute runs on a road, and 5K runs on a running machine. I think the next stage is to actually run in a proper race (probably slowly but surely).

4 Go to at least two Lib Dem meetings
I have been rather a passive activist for the last few years. I supported the coalition but didn't do much for the 2015 general election or the Brexit referendum. However the cumulative effect of Brexit, unrestrained Tories, incompetent Labour and the Lib Dems coming back will hopefully motivate me to get more active. I have normally managed to make one meeting a year (either locally or nationally) so two meetings will be progress!

5 Deliver leaflets for someone standing for election
Being politically active means more than just going to meetings. This year there are county council elections and i'm sure they will be plenty of candidates that i will want to support. Delivering leaflets will also help me meet my daily step goal so definitely a win-win!

6 Get paid by 6 people to give them a massage
I completed my aromatherapy massage qualification in 2015 and proceeded to do nothing with it except massage a few friends on holiday. I enjoy massaging so plan to get back into it properly.

7 Write 6 blog posts (that are not just News You Might Have Missed)
My blogging has been sporadic over the years but i have managed a news round-up each month. As part of being more politically active, i want to find my voice and express myself in more than just facebook or twitter updates.

8 Go to one genealogy-related event
I've dipped in and out of researching my family tree over the years. I definitely think it is time to get back into it as i have many brick walls to break through (including finding the birth of my Irish great-grandmother). I can do internet searches easily enough but want to go to a real-world event to get motivated.

Why have eight objectives? Because eight is great!


No comments:

Post a Comment